Top Plate Stiffener
The MiTek Top Plate Stiffener is suitable for use in conjunction with AS1684 Residential Timber Construction to reinforce a single loadbearing top plate where a hole for a service duct penetration is required, by restoring the top plate to its original design strength. A TPSA may also be used on non-loadbearing top plates to provide continuity for wall bracing.
- The top plate shall be a single 90×35 or 90×45 member, and shall be of either MGP10 or MGP12 grade.
- The the service duct hole through the top plate shall not be more than 60mm in diameter, and shall be situated between 100mm and 102mm from the face of a stud.
- The TPSA shall be positioned against a stud underneath the top plate when the studs are spaced between 400mm and 600mm apart.
- If the TPSA is too long to fit in between studs (i.e. when they are less than 400mm apart), and if the top plate does not support a truss from above, the TPSA may be fixed on top of the top plate.
- PlateTies can also be used to secure studs in braced panels to comply with Type B bracing specifications.
- As PlateTies have integral teeth, they are very quick to apply and have consistent performance, as nails cannot be inadvertently left out.
- Pre-formed ties ensure tight fit and tight bends, making it easier to fit internal linings.